Rituals and Routine

Thursday, January 20, 2011

I have been thinking quite a bit about the rituals and routines that we have in our daily lives and the roles that they play and how as we get busy, they change, are put aside or ignored.  As a child, a bedtime routine is of the utmost importance.  It can be a time to teach love, story, acceptance.  It serves as a transition from busy, community, play to reflection, imagination and rest.  So why is it as adults we don't practice self love and give this same sort of time to ourselves?  I am horrible at this.  I often crash out of sheer exhaustion at the end of the day, sometimes in bed, other times in a chair, the couch or some other place not meant for sleeping that almost always results in a neck cramp. 

I have been trying to introduce a nighttime ritual into my day.  I need that transition, that time to reflect, relax and imagine.  A time to let the day melt away, be thankful and hopeful for what the next day will offer.  I need to give myself the time to engage my senses, breath deeply and relax.  A time to rest and rejuvenate my mind as my body prepares to rest.

In learning to incorporate a bedtime routine, here are a few things that I have found that I am really enjoying.  Trust me, this is a work in progress.  I hope to have it become more important to me than my morning coffee.  I think there is a lot of importance in beginnings and endings, attention should be paid.

 

Tea - This is a great way to engage your sense of smell and taste while relaxing.  Tazo has a new line of wellbeing teas. Rest is a great tea for evening.  It has hints of mint, orange, lavender, licorice and other soothing herbs. Tea can serve as a great transition between busy and rest.  Try to focus on tasting the herbs and flavors, really enjoy the tea, be present in the moment. 

Smell - I am in love with the Caldrea Linen Spray in Sea Salt Neroli. Inspired by bright, clear mornings at the shore, this watery composition opens with sparkling essential oils of Lemon Verbena and warm spice from Cardamon. An exquisite white floral heart is supplied by Neroli, the blossom of a bitter orange tree native to Tunisia. Unique mineral notes enhance the fresh sea experience, seemingly adding salt to the air. Lovely woods and sophisticated musk ground this aquatic delight to the land, and provide a home cleaning experience unlike any other.  Great scent description from Caldrea.  A few spritzes on my quilt before bed really helps make the room feel cozy.  After a few nights this triggers happy sleepy feelings for me.  October Moon in Old Town is m favorite place locally to explore and by the entire caldrea line.



Gratitude- Keeping a journal where you record your gratitude for the day is a great way to keep perspective.  We get so bogged down by where we feel small, insignificant or not enough.  It is important to remember, reflect and record what we are thankful, the successes for the day, a time to remember to celebrate life, right where we are. No exceptions.  Inspirational artist Kelly Rae Roberts has a great book full of inspiration and directions for making a beautiful journal.  Below is a piece of her work.  This is my goal,  to celebrate gratitude more than I think about falling short.


0 comments:

Post a Comment